Chief Information Officer (CIO), IT Director, Technology Executive
My career objective is to bring business and technology together enabling the organization to embrace digital transformation. I am focused on delivering high-performance technologies and services through an obsession with business alignment, customer service and a willingness to take ownership and be accountable for the success of my projects.
Ryther (Seattle, WA) 2020-Present
Directory of Technology
As the Directory of Technology I am responsible for leading technology by setting the overall strategy of the organization and ensuring alignment between technology initiatives and organizational goals and ensuring compliance with regards to industry regulations, including HIPPA.
My core accountability areas include working with leadership to define strategy, manage the IT department to tactically execute and achieve business goals, define standardize policies and procedures for technology, oversee the operational technology infrastructure, communicate meaningful metrics to the business, ensure the security of business assets and ultimately deliver exceptional support of technology for each employee.
- Define Strategy working with executive and business leaders to assess need, provide guidance, articulate capabilities and collaborate on strategy and execution of projects.
- Agile Project Management by replacing waterfall methodologies with SDLC, FDD and Kanban to create an iterative process that delivers results faster, incorporates customer feedback and lowers project failure rates and costs.
- Manage Finances by developing budgets, tracking variances, and calculating true ROI. I work with an internal team to help create grant requests for both government and private donors.
- Team/Staff Management and Mentoring to recruit and retain a valued team.
- Deploy and recommend technology solutions that are can be deployed and adopted by a wide range of people to achieve their goals.
- Ensure compliance, protect privacy and secure information with healthcare related directives such as HIPPA and other federal, state, county and local regulations.
- Key Projects and Deliverables
- Cloud Migration – Upgraded a server and infrastructure that was significantly outdated to support an adoption of Microsoft 365 and Azure platforms. Created a digital vision and strategy that aligned with the goals of protecting the privacy of data and enabling our employees to work remotely through a pandemic and the changing work environment that evolved. Key software platforms included Microsoft Active Directory, 365 and Azure as well as VMWare VDI.
- Process improvement through automation – Working with departments and programs to leverage tool sets such as Microsoft Power Automation to redesign processes to improve efficiencies. This included processes of data input, communications and financial analysis.
Aldridge (Seattle, WA) 2018-2020
Aldridge provides technology guidance, management, deployment and support for clients in a variety of industries. With offices in Seattle, Houston and Dallas a primary focus of industries including construction, oil/gas, mining, manufacturing, professional services and technology.
Chief Information Officer (CIO)
I work with executive leadership and IT management to align technology solutions and projects with business goals. I deliver regular analysis the business leadership team that includes measurements and KPIs specific to the business. I am responsible for developing budgets for technology expenditures, vendor management, and project management of all technology solutions. An additional primary responsibility is the performance, security and value of all business technology assets. I utilize over 20 years of business technology management, engineering and security expertise to align with business goals, provide the proper solutions and reduce risk across the organization.
- Key Projects
- Business Transformation
- Biomedical – Worked with a start-up style company working on new biomedical equipment development to provide a technology infrastructure and culture that focused on providing an environment that was conducive to supporting a diverse workforce of engineers, market development and medical professionals. Built the initial IT infrastructure and provided guidance and stewardship for the environment through high growth periods.
- Commercial Fishing – Worked with executive team and front line workforce to develop a business aligned strategy to leverage technology investments to build and maintain competitive advantages in highly competitive environments.
- Construction – Worked with a leading Texas based roofing company to update business processes including accounting, project management and worksite management to use technology to increase efficiency and safety. This included an implementation of a ERP platform that encompasses finance, production, HR and safety.
- Equipment Sales – Provided CIO level guidance for a company that sells and services heavy construction equipment to implement a full CRM and ERP solution. The project included SaleForce and Equipsoft implementations withing accounting, sales/service, marketing, HR and executive teams.
- Manufacturing – Implemented a cloud based platform, founded in Microsoft 365, to support a ERP solution that integrated highly with their CAD implementation which is the core line of business application.
- Technology – Provided technology guidance and design for a web based magazine that focusses on the worldwide petroleum industry. We successfully migrated the publishing platform from an on premise data center to a completely cloud based environment and implemented modern SLA monitoring for multiple publishing outlets.
- Business Transformation
Lakeside Industries (Issaquah, WA), 1996-2018
Lakeside Industries is one of the largest privately owned heavy highway contractors and manufacturer of hot and cold mix asphalt with annual revenues in excess of $100 million across 31 locations in multiple states.
As the IT Director, I am responsible for leading the IT team by setting the overall direction and objectives of the department and ensuring alignment between technology initiatives and business goals. Ultimately, I am responsible for the digital experience for every person in the organization.
My core accountability areas include user’s digital experience, business leadership, security, infrastructure, service and support delivery (ITSM) and project management. I am also responsible for the staffing, budgeting, developing policies and procedures, licensing, vendor selection, negotiation and contract and SLA management.
I have 22 years of progressive advancement and responsibility.
- Digital Experience – Ensure that every employee has a modern desktop and application experience that enables them to work efficiently.
- Business Leadership – I serve as the expert technical resource for department and organizational leadership. My primary responsibilities include developing long-term strategic plans, research, analyze and recommend new and emerging technology solutions. Effectively communicate the operational and strategic goals of technology to the business through consistent reporting and KPIs. Managed an operational budget in excess of $1 million.
- Security & Risk Management – Oversees design and implementation of digital security including firewalls, IDS/IPS systems, data security at rest and in transit, PCI compliance and Data Loss Prevention (DLP). Administer a complete business continuity and disaster recovery plan. Ensure confidentiality, integrity and availability of data, systems and services to support business goals. Reduced employee risks through training by 80%
- Project Management – Implemented an agile based project management program for various teams and projects utilizing a Kanban methodology emphasizing communications and constraint planning, Reduced IT project delivery time by 60%.
- Infrastructure – Design and support of a WAN spanning 3 states, 31 LAN sites including fiber and copper dedicated services, wireless LAN and VPN including switch and router configurations. Design and support for datacenters deployed on premise utilizing virtualization technologies and cloud-based deployments in Azure for IaaS, PaaS and SaaS services. Projects include Office 365, Exchange Online and SharePoint Online deployments and migrations. I provide expertise in system upgrades, software and hardware installations, software migrations, and overall system maintenance.
- ITSM – Ensure that employees receive prompt and helpful support from the Help Desk team while maintaining adherence to an ITIL based framework and maintaining accountability to organization SLAs. Maintained a 99% satisfaction rating.
- Job titles held: Network Administrator, Network Engineer, IT Manager, IT Director
- Key Projects and Deliverables
- ERP Implementation – deployed a system that connected accounting, operations, sales, HR and fleet management systems to provide an organization wide information platform that delivered custom reporting, dashboards and mobile data to a diverse workforce. This was built on my experience deploying 3 previous accounting systems, estimating platforms and CRMs. The key software platforms included Viewpoint Vista, SalesForce, Hard Dollar and Workday.
- Modern WAN Implementation – a state of the art fiber optic based WAN that connected 30+ sites across 3 states. This project furthered our ability to deliver highly virtualized solutions for desktop/applications, VoIP and a IoT infrastructure that enabled digital transformation for the organization. Key technologies deployed were a hybrid layer 2/3 fiber network completely designed VLAN and IP subnets to support existing platforms and growth.
- Desktop Virtualization – starting in 2001 we implemented a Citrix desktop solution that initially provided 80% of desktops withing the organization. That deployment grew over nearly providing all desktop computing including a graphics enabled deliver that supported CAD and GIS applications. This project saved an estimated $500,000 per year in hardware, software and administration each year for 18+ years. Total estimated net savings of $9 million plus.
Everett Community College (Everett, WA), 1999-2004
For each class I was primary the primary classroom instructor. I also developed most teaching materials including assignments and tests. Typically taught 4 full time (5 credit hour classes) per quarter.
Cisco Academy (CCNA)
CIS 108 – Operating Systems • CIS 117 – Intro to Networking • CIS 122 – Advanced Networking • SP110 – HTML Web Design • CIS 224 – Network Administration • CIS 228 – Information Security • CompTia A+, Network+
Microsoft (Redmond, WA), 1995-1995
Messaging Engineer (Contractor)
As a Messaging Engineer I worked to support the internal “beta” Exchange 4.0 environment within Microsoft.
Weyerhaeuser (Federal Way, WA), 1994-1995
Technology Engineer (Contractor)
I worked remotely and on-site with teams across the U.S. and Canada to safely install and configure servers at office and manufacturing facilities. I worked with diverse teams including mill workers, office staff, mid to senior management and other technology departments to facilitate the best customer experience.
Intec (Bothell, WA), 1993-1994
As the first Network Administrator for Intec I created a Microsoft Lan Manager network to provide print and file services to their PC and Apple Mac endpoints. I migrated the network from LAN Manager to Windows NT 3.5.
Western Governors University, 2021
Bachelors of Science, Information Technology
Everett Community College (Everett, WA), 1992
Associate Arts & Sciences – GPA 3.2
University of Oklahoma, 1989
- CISSP (2020 completion)
- Microsoft – MCSE, MCP (1995)
- Cisco – CCNA (1999)
- CompTIA (1995-2005)
- SANS GIAC (2000)
- Novell Netware 3.x (1993)
Digital Business Leadership • Cloud Computing • Strategic Planning • Digital Transformation • Customer Service • Project Management • Network Engineering • System Administration • Systems Analysis, Design & Implementation • Security • Financial Management • Communication • Personnel Management • Teaching • Training • Mentoring • Agile • Kanban
ITIL • ITSM • Azure • IaaS • SaaS • PaaS • Virtualization • Windows Server • Windows Desktop • Office 365 • SharePoint • Intranet • Exchange • Firewalls • Active Directory • ADFS • Group Policy • VoIP • ShoreTel • Mobile Device Management • Internet • HyperV • ERP • Cisco • LAN/WAN • TCP/IP • OSI Model • VPN • DNS • DHCP • VDI • SMTP • IIS • PowerShell • Citrix • IDS • IPS • HTML • SSL • SSH • CSS • Ethernet • 802.x Wireless • Routing • Switching • SAN • HP Networking • 3Par • Varonis • Microsoft Office • Excel • Visio • OneNote • Microsoft Teams • Windows 10 • BlueBeam • Microsoft PowerApps • Microsoft Flow • SolarWinds • WordPress
I encourage the review of my references and endorsements via my LinkedIn profile (https://www.linkedin.com/in/brucefyfe/).